Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Buffet

Scott Bish loads his plate from the lunch buffet at The Beaumont Club in Beaumont, TX, Tuesday, October 30, 2007. Beaumont Enterprise, Tammy McKinley


The story is about the do's and don'ts of buffet eating. This man is clearly displaying a dont. Evidently the editor wanted a do but didn't bother to tell me that.

I had an interesting discussion with the features editor over this pic. His concern was because I cropped out the head of the subject he wondered if readers would wonder about the identity of the eater. My arguement was that because I cut off the head of the diner, he becomes an "everyman". The editor was also concerned that because I asked the diner his name, he might assume that his image would appear in the paper and would be disappointed that I cut off his head. One-It's my job to get thier names, Two-I don't think we can allow what our subjects May assume dictate how art is edited.

5 comments:

David said...

I think you had the right idea with keeping the identity anonymous. As you said that makes everyone identify. The only thing I think might could have been different would be to have shot a fat person doing this. But then again I see that on TV news all the time and I wonder what people must be thinking at home when they see their t-shirt and belly in a clip with a story on obesity.

Keep up the good work though and don't sweat the editors. You have a ton of talent over there.

Anonymous said...

Your features editor is wrong on all counts.

Tammy McKinley said...

thanks guys. i think your right. sometimes editors can be wrong.

Anonymous said...

He always was a pig...so putting his name there just makes people know that he is a pig through and through!

Anonymous said...

Also notice that he isnt wearing his wedding ring! How typical!