Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Suicide Attempt

A family member taunts the media as Beaumont Police officers and SWAT members remove weapons from a home where a 61 year old white male barracaded himself earlier in Beaumont, TX, Sunday, October 28, 2007. Beaumont Enterprise, Tammy McKinley


While not an excellent photo, it does bring up an interesting point. I did get some crap for turning in a pic with a man flipping me off. But, some papers allow these type of photos and some don't. And since I am new here, I didn't know the policy on that. Personally, I feel if that what was happening on the scene, then that's what I should photograph. It gives an accurate description of what was going on. But editors are notoriously more sensitive than photographers, and the non-dancing-around-flipping-me-off photo ran in the paper.

On another note, this is probably why newspapers shouldn't allow photographers to post top page photos without editorial approval, because I would have posted the one of the guy flipping me off.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your editors were wrong, wrong, wrong. The photo is great!

Tammy McKinley said...

thanks. i like it. and don't give me editorial control, cause I will pick the most controversial image I can find everytime.